As the 2020 Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games which were postponed to the summer of 2021, Japan is considering to possibly lift entry ban for foreign tourists this coming Spring 2021.
The government is working to put safety measures for overseas visitors ahead of the games and entry ban. These safety measures are included on the tourist “journey” starting from the arrival up to the extent of stay and departure.
Here are the summary of conditions for Spring 2021 reopen for tourists:
- Expected tourist should obtain pre-departure negative Coronavirus result with certificate
- While there would be no quarantine, a request to download a health check app or contact tracing app for health report within 14 days after entry
- Buy private medical insurance to prepare for possible infection with the virus after entering Japan
- Upon arrival in Japan, there will be another Coronavirus test
- The government is also looking at setting up the exclusive health consultation center for foreign tourists after their entry to Japan and having public health centers in Tokyo.
Conditions stated above are still on the process of finalizing for the projected trial period in April 2021. The government admits there are still many issues that need to be resolved before the ban on foreign tourists is lifted.
We will continue to give updates once all details are confirmed.