Mobile Disaster Alert Notifications for Japan Tourists
Every year Japan is making headlines on news platforms because of Earthquake incidents. An average count of 2,000 earthquakes happen each year. Just last Monday(June 18, 2018) a 6.1 magnitude earthquake shook Osaka and it did not took long enough to affect the tourism industry. According to Japan Times article, one hotel operator in Kyoto lost 4.4 million yen following cancellations of bookings for about 300 rooms out of 400 rooms. However, he said the firm has seen some new customers seeking accommodation after being stranded between their homes and their travel destinations.
Although this kind of disaster is not stopping tourists from visiting different parts of Japan, Japan Tourism Agency developed an app that provides mobile disaster alert notifications for Japan tourists.
The mobile app “Safety Tips” was launched October 2014 and is available in five foreign languages: English, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Korean and Japanese. Japan Tourism Agency aims that through this mobile app, tourists can feel safe and secured while travelling.
Android Version: 5.0 or later.
iOS Version: 9.0 or later.
How to Use “Safety Tips”App
For Android users, simply search the keyword “Safety Tips” on Google Play Store or you can click the download link below :
Safety Tips download link : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.rcsc.safetyTips.android
Click on “Install”, wait for a moment and after finishing install you can open and use the app on your smart device!
Upon app loading “Safety Tips” will allow you to set your app’s language, home country, GPS location, predictive area.
- Language – allows you to set your apps default language. You can choose from English, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Korean and Japanese.
- Home Country – must be set to your country of origin.
- GPS location – simply turn on your mobile phone’s location and the app will automatically detect your current GPS location.
- Predictive Area – you can select up to 5 locations where you want to receive early earthquake warnings.
Home Country setting
GPS Location setting
Predictive Area setting
After setting your app click on “Completed” at the predictive area screen. You are all set and ready to use your app! Now let’s have a look on the apps features.
What can you check on the Safety Tips app?
– Provides a list of Earthquakes that recently happened, including the intensity and magnitude.
– Weather warnings warnings and alerts for your selected prediction area and current location based on your GPS location.
– Volcanic warnings provides list of Volcanic activities and warnings for each area.
Health Illness Warnings
– Health Illness warnings shows warnings for your area with regards to health issues.
– Medical Institutions area provides a list of hospitals including details such as hospital departments and language availability.
– Transportation section allows you to search for train rooutes for a specific date and time. You can also filter your search with “Fare Types” and “Seat Preference”
Evacuation Advice / Instruction etc.
– Evacuation advice sections provides information ( only in Japanese ) on evacuation manners and services provided at the evacuations areas.
– Learning materials provide informations like what to “Check before a Disaster”, “About First Aid”, “Tsunami Warnings” etc.
– Communication Cards contains expected questions at times of disaster. It is accessible in 4 languages.
– Emergency Contacts lists emergency phone numbers that you can contact in case of emergency.
Fire Station 119
Police Station 110
Embassy Contact Number (based on your Home Country setting)
Communication Cards Preview
– Links sections are list of useful links for the users such as “Embassy List”, “List of medical facilities accepting foreigners” , “List of free public wireless LAN” etc.,
Civil Protection Information
– Civil Protection Information is also only available in Japanese text.